Allergies in the Dental Office

Published on December 1, 2013 by

Allergies are an every-day issue for many people, and for others, it’s only a problem in the dental office. Latex is a natural rubber harvested from trees, and are a source of allergy for some people. Local anesthetics used in a dental office can also cause an allergic reaction. These anesthetics are used to numb the mouth and gums during relative dental procedures. Allergic reactions to local anesthetics are rare, but are known to happen from time to time.

The potential for an allergic reaction should never be reason not to go to the dentist. You should still visit the dentist at least twice a year. Here are several tips to help avoid allergic reactions, if this is a problem for you, while going to the dentist.

If you have a latex allergy, notify the dentist or a staff member at the beginning of your first visit. There are latex-free alternatives for all dental procedures, so don’t let that prevent you from going to the dentist.

If you are allergic to an anesthetic, tell your dentist! There are other options that will allow the dentist to perform your needed dental work safely, and in comfort.

 

Filed under: Uncategorized

Comments are closed.