Allergies in the Dental Office

Published on December 1, 2013 by

Allergies are an every-day issue for many people, and for others, it’s only a problem in the dental office. Latex is a natural rubber harvested from trees, and are a source of allergy for some people. Local anesthetics used in a dental office can also cause an allergic reaction. These anesthetics are used to numb the mouth and gums during relative dental procedures. Allergic reactions to local anesthetics are rare, but are known to happen from time to time.

The potential for an allergic reaction should never be reason not to go to the dentist. You should still visit the dentist at least twice a year. Here are several tips to help avoid allergic reactions, if this is a problem for you, while going to the dentist.

If you have a latex allergy, notify the dentist or a staff member at the beginning of your first visit. There are latex-free alternatives for all dental procedures, so don’t let that prevent you from going to the dentist.

If you are allergic to an anesthetic, tell your dentist! There are other options that will allow the dentist to perform your needed dental work safely, and in comfort.


Dental Cavities

Published on November 1, 2013 by

We all have plaque on our teeth, which contains thousands of different kinds of bacteria. These bacteria  love sugary foods and drinks more dental-cavitythan we do! When the bacteria mix with sugar, they create an acid that starts to eat away at your tooth enamel and can create a little hole- a cavity. The plaque, bacteria, and acid will continue to erode your enamel until your dentist cleans out the damaged part of the tooth and fills in the cavity with a filling. Unfortunately, there is no way to rid our mouths of the bacteria that cause cavities, but there are some ways to prevent a cavity from forming. Of course, brushing and flossing regularly will help keep your mouth clean, and eating healthy foods can eliminate some of the sugars you would be receiving from less healthy food. One preventive method that might surprise you is chewing sugarless gum after you eat. Gum chewing produces more saliva, which reduces the amount of acid left in your mouth after a meal.